Friday, July 22, 2011

6 Months!?! Seriously?

I cannot believe that Lil' Lady A was born SIX MONTHS ago! The past six months have easily been the most wonderful months of my life. I thought being married was great, but life is even better now. As long as I can remember, I have dreamed of being a mommy. A big part of that is probably because I grew up with such an amazing mom. When I was younger, I used to say I wanted six or seven kiddos. I don't necessarily feel that way anymore, but I do love being a mommy! I'm not saying it's all easy, and I'm sure harder days are ahead of me. But in a way I have never felt before, I feel fulfilled. I feel like I am doing what I was made to do.


I've loved every moment so far, even the difficult ones, and have tried to savor, savor, savor as much as I possibly can. The squishy, tiny newborn stage was so precious! We were seriously trying to figure out what we were doing as new parents, and a most of those first couple months passed in a bit of a blur. Soon though, we became more comfortable and actually started leaving the house more. Meanwhile Little Lady kept growing and started smiling those sweet smiles right at us.  The last month or so has been a blast! I love this phase! She is rolling over, sitting up, playing with toys, grabbing EVERYTHING, and laughing (perhaps the best sound in the world). We already think she's going to be a little social butterfly because she loves being around people and is easily distracted from eating and sleeping when others are around. She is such a delight!


In a mere six months I have learned all kinds of things. I've learned how to breastfeed. I've learned to distinguish between different cries. I've learned that parenting looks different for each family (and probably each child). I've learned more about baby poop than I ever dreamed possible. In fact I've learned to be unfazed by any and all bodily fluids.  I've learned tons about cloth diapers and wash routines. I've learned that it takes much longer to get out the door than it ever did before. I've learned to do all kinds of things one handed... including but not limited to cook, clean, put on make-up, brush my teeth, type, laundry, dishes and more. I've learned that watching my husband love our daughter makes me fall even more in love with him.


Of all that I've learned though, I feel the most important thing I've learned is a better understanding of the love of God. Though I know I can never fully comprehend how much He truly does love us, being a mommy helps. I am so in love with our little blessing, but she has done nothing to earn my love. She is simply here. She exists. I would do absolutely anything possible to make sure she is happy, healthy and thriving. I want what is best for her in all situations, but she doesn't DO anything to make me feel that way. If anything, life is more difficult now. I get less sleep, there is more work to do around the house, I don't get to read or pursue other hobbies as much as I once could, some days are difficult to even shower, diapers need changed constantly, and I regularly end up in direct contact with poo. I clearly no longer come first in my life, yet I could not be happier. I imagine God feels similarly about us, though I know that somehow His love is even deeper. We don't have to DO anything to earn His love. He just love us! We even hurt Him and definitely mess things up, creating difficulties, but He loves us unconditionally!
 

Thank-you Little Lady for bringing immeasurable joy into our lives and for continually teaching us, especially all that you teach us about the Lord. Happy Half Birthday!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Alicia she is just absolutely precious!!! Danny and I could not be happier for both of you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is a total doll. i lovelovelove hearing how much in love you are with her. it gives me chills as i can totally relate. she is one more blessed A!!!

    ReplyDelete